The countdown to Thanksgiving started in our household over the weekend, even though it feels like last week was just June! Truth be told, I’m not the biggest fan of Thanksgiving dinner. Even when I ate turkey, I was never on the magical turkey, stuffing, gravy train. It was never quite my jam.
In the last few years, I’ve been making more dishes for myself on Thanksgiving day. I love the freedom, and the excuse to make 3 or 4 squash dishes. This year’s addition is mashed cauliflower. Even though potatoes are a go for me, I still prefer cauliflower 10/10 times! Of course this year my endeavor was to add my cauli fave to the menu. Try this easy 6-ingredient plant-based side dish on Thanksgiving, or any day of the week!
Note: Shallots come naturally divided into two halves – for this recipe I used the entire smaller half of the shallot.
- 2 cups cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons avocado or other neutral oil, divided
- 1/2 shallot, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup warm water or broth
- 1/2 cup cashew cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Toss chopped cauliflower, 1 tablespoon oil, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Disperse on a baking sheet so no cauliflower is overlapping.
- Roast for 15 minutes, until cauliflower is almost soft enough to break with a wooden spoon. Add shallot, garlic, and 1 tablespoon oil to baking sheet with cauliflower and roast for 5-7 minutes, until cauliflower is easily broken with wooden spoon. Rest for 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, blend cauliflower mixture and 1 cup warm water on high until finely blended.
- In a medium pot, heat cauliflower puree and 1/2 cup cashew cream on medium-low until mixed and thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste.
One thought on “Garlic Cauliflower Mash”
I love this!
LikeLiked by 1 person