It’s fall! Kick off the spooky season with these delicious and spiced cinnamon rolls. This year, we made homemade apple butter (which is sooooo easy to do in the slowcooker). Here is the recipe – but feel free to pick up some local apple butter from a farm stand or farmers market!
- ¾ cup milk, at 110 F
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice mix (see below)
- ¼ cup apple butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup apple cider
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Mix milk, yeast, sugar, egg and butter in a standing mixer with the whisk setting. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add flour, salt and pumpkin pie mix. Mix with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough forms. Using the dough hook, knead dough for 7 minutes on medium speed.
- Once dough has been kneaded and is in an elastic ball, transfer to a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 ½ to 2 hours, depending on temperature and humidity of kitchen. You want the dough to double in size.
- Once dough has risen, transfer to a lightly floured surface. Roll out dough into a rectangular shape with a rolling pin, until the dough is about ½ inch thick.
- Spread apple butter onto the rolled out dough, leaving ½ inch margin on all edges of the dough. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly on top, spreading with your hands if necessary.
- Roll, with caution, the longer edge of the dough into a decently tight roll. You will need to pick up the dough slightly with each roll so as to not squeeze the apple butter out at the end. Cut the log into 1” thick rolls, and snuggle into a pre greased baking dish (around 9”x9”)
- Cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel and let rise for a second time for about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Once the oven is preheated and the rolls have puffed up, bake for 25 minutes, until ever so slightly golden brown and not raw in the middle.
- While the rolls are baking, reduce the apple cider in a pot over the stove to ¼ cup. Let cool.
- Once apple cider reduction is cooled, whisk the reduction, milk and powdered sugar using a standing mixer. Set aside.
- Once rolls are cool, drizzle the desired amount of icing over your rolls (the more the merrier!)
Pumpkin Spice Mix
This will make more than you need for the recipe, but is great to keep on hand for adding to apple cider, or topping pies with!
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp nutmeg